Quantity Surveying in the Americas
150.0 Hours Formal CPD
Quantity surveyors are concerned with the financial management of building life cycles. With construction spend exceeding $1.5 trillion in the Americas, the need for chartered quantity surveyors is more significant than ever. Across key developing markets, having the skills to meet this global demand is essential.
+1 (646) 786-8364
In this course, you will learn the key principles of tendering, estimating and pricing. You will gain knowledge of construction contracts and their financial provisions, procurement options; the production of tender documents; the contractor's tendering procedure and strategy; and the detailed process undertaken by the contractor to price tender documents.
Explore construction technology, contract procedures and construction economics, looking at commercial and domestic measurement, as well as project estimating and management to an advanced level.
The aim of the course is to provide technical training around the key principles of tendering, estimating and pricing and provide you with knowledge of construction contracts and their financial provisions.
Who is this course for?
- Cost Engineers, Building Technicians, Estimators, Quantity Surveyors, Commercial Managers and Civil Engineers with a minimum of 3 years' professional experience
- Quantity Surveying BSc/MSc graduates and Assistant/Graduate Quantity Surveyors looking to put theory into practice and gain a day to day understanding of the profession
- APC and Assoc. candidates looking to consolidate their practical skills and knowledge required to be a competent qualified quantity surveying professional
This course is made of up of 6 technical l modules delivered across a 6 month period.
- Module 1: Construction technology and environmental services for domestic and more complex buildings
- Module 2: Procurement and tendering
- Module 3: Design economics, cost planning and commercial management of construction
- Module 4: Quantification and costing of construction works
- Module 5: Construction law and standard forms of contract
- Module 6: Project financial control and reporting
Course Review and Final Exam
For more information on the topics covered within each unit, please download the course guide.
Within each module will be dedicated e-learning sessions. Within these courses delegates will gain an understanding around the practical techniques and international standards required within the construction and quantity surveying pathway.
Learners will further study and understanding of the methodologies with the directed reading material. Sourced from textbooks and articles, these readings support development throughout the course program.
Technical case studies provide examples of practice, within these case studies participants will practice the theory taught within the module. Responses will be shared within the online forums.
Questions, comments, case studies will be posted to the forum (one module) with the objective of allowing the participants to reflect on the e-learning and also to discuss their own experiences under each module heading around QS practice.
End of module quiz
At the end of each module is a short quiz, to check understanding of the content and to help track progress.
Video web classes
On completion of all the technical modules, participants will be required to review video recorded online web classes. The structure of this session is to provide a detail overview of the practices and principles of QS. This will provide a deeper understanding of the principles covered in each module and reaffirm the learning outcomes.
The start date is subject to change depending on number of attendees for this course and at the discretion of RICS.